September 13, 2011

Red River Gorge...and a trip down proposal memory lane

This past weekend we took some time to get away with a couple friends of ours. It was just for one night, but it was just what we needed. It was wonderful to be in the woods, away from email, school, work, and the technology that drains our time. We loaded up on groceries and headed out of town.

Thankfully, the husbands agreed to make this a "luxury" camping trip for us girls. (i.e. a bath house, not a hole you dig; a tent, not hammocks or shelters; cooking actual meals, not eating dehydrated MRE's; and I didn't have to carry all our belongings in a pack on my back) I feel so lucky.

We set up camp, and unloaded our things. This was my home for the night
Believe me, this is a huge step up from the other tent we have, which is a just a tarp-like shelter (can we say open to every bug?!) I was forced to had the opportunity to sleep in it one other time. Not. A. Fan. But this one, I can stand.

Unfortunately, we arrived a little later than we had hoped, so by the time we got everything set up and dinner started, it was dark & I couldn't really take any pictures. So you won't get a picture of the awesome hobo meals we made. I'll post about them some other time. They are AWESOME!

We enjoyed time hangin out around the campfire (I hacked my first log with a hatchet! Rawr! Muscles.) What is it about a fire that is so enticing? I can't think of much else, other than a puppy, or a baby that is more fun to just mindlessly stare at all night & yet, still be entertained! Anyone with me?

One thing we did NOT enjoy was when we went to get into our tent for the night: there were ticks EVERYWHERE! They were all over the tents, and the ground around. I have never seen anything like it. I was sure I'd wake up to a tick covered body in the morning.
I've had ticks before, and in some unsightly places mind you (Shannon, Danielle...remember? Or are you trying to block that from your memory?) :) So needless to say, I was itching & paranoid the entire night.

**I am excited to announce, I have yet to find a tick on my person!**

The next morning, my wonderful hubs chef'd it up and made us an awesome camp side breakfast with his grandfather's old Coleman stove
 And I helped by cutting potatoes and sipping on this. Mmm hot cocoa is a must when camping. And have you tried those giant campfire marshmallows?! They are huge! We used them the night before for s'mores, and then decided the hot cocoa needed one too.
 Look at that spread. Scrambled eggs, fried potatoes and bacon
 Then, as if that wasn't good enough, we wrapped them in tortillas & made them into breakfast tacos. I put my bacon in the taco & it was DELISH! I'm getting hungry thinking about it.
After we awoke from our food comas, we packed up camp & drove around the gorge a little. We took in some beautiful sights, and went on a couple short hikes. 
After having rain for 3 days straight, it was a delight to see the sun once again. It was a GORGEOUS day!

We even re-visited the sight where we were engaged over 7 years ago. Aww, such sweet memories. We love returning here & reminiscing.

Such a pretty overlook

He proposed on my birthday. After a day of hiking, we had a picnic dinner here on Chimney Rock. Then, at sunset, he got down on one knee & asked me to marry him.
**Although, sunset is relative. He's still bitter about the fact that it was overcast that day, which ruined his perfect sunset proposal plan. He will probably be bitter until his dying day. Me? I couldn't care less. I got the guy & the ring, that's all I cared about! :) **
I couldn't believe it, and after a few minutes of me crying & laughing, he said, "Can you answer, because my knee really hurts." Hahaha Obviously I said yes. It's just that after 4 years of dating, I'd played that moment out in my mind a million times, and expected it any time. So when it was actually happening, I couldn't believe it.

So cool to look down on trees for once. Such pretty sights. 

On our way back home we stopped at this place
We never take a trip to the gorge without visiting Miguels. It's this hippie, hole in the wall, pizza joint where all the climbers and gorge aficionados visit. It's kind of famous in that neck of the woods. But more importantly, the pizza is AMAZING. Probably the best I've ever had.

And just like that, our adventure was over. A short trip to the wilderness to help us unwind, relax, and remember that there's more to life than the busy-ness that tries to swallow us whole.
I hope you are able to take some time this week to stop & take in something you consider beautiful to remember what life is really all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to get your comments!