June 19, 2012

What we've been eating: Homemade Chick-Fil-A Chicken

We don't do much frying for our meals, but when I saw this recipe I HAD to try it. I pinned it as fast as I could. Chick-Fil-A is my favorite place to eat out. I've even told the hubs I would be content with anniversary/birthday/special dinners here :)
When I lived in Kansas City, MO, for a while the only CFA was 45 minutes away in Kansas. My fellow southern friend Kim & I would drive the 45 min about once a week or so to get some. We're devoted :) hehe

My husband had to help with this one, because I don't really do grease in the kitchen. I don't even like to make bacon. It all pops on you, and it hurts! So, since I'm a baby about it, he steps up and does the frying portion for me. Points for the hubs!

Ingredients Needed:
Cooking Oil (Chick-Fil-A uses peanut oil, but I used canola)
1 Egg
1 Cup of Milk
1 Cup of Flour
2 1/2 Tablespoons of Powdered Sugar
1/2 Teaspoon Pepper
I Tablespoon of Salt
2 Skinless Boneless Chicken Breast, cut in strips or cubed

I cut the chicken into cubes so it would cook faster, then soaked the pieces in the egg and milk mixture.
Next, I mixed together all the dry ingredients while the chicken sat. When I am dredging something, I like to put my dry batter into a pie plate. It has edges to keep the flour from spilling out, and I like that
it is flat & shallow, which is great for big pieces of whatever you are working with.
After I mixed that together, I dipped the chicken into the flour mixture. I like to double dip so I go from egg/milk to flour, back to egg/milk and back to flour. THEN I put it in the oil.
We don't have a thermometer that reaches 375 degrees, so we checked the oil by putting a few drops of water in the oil. When it sizzles, we know it's hot enough.
On the left side, are the pieces that have been flipped and are almost done, and on the right are the new ones. That way we could better keep track of how long each needed to cook, and you aren't burning or under cooking any pieces.

When the pieces come out of the oil, drain them as best as possible, and then place them on a plate with paper towels (or brown paper bags) underneath to soak up any extra grease.

After you are finished, your fingers will probably look something like this
I don't care what tips are out there, I always end up with hands that look like this when I batter something. I think it's a right of passage for frying :)
And the verdict? They are DELICIOUS! Chick-Fil-A replica? NO. But they are still so tasty. We will definitely make them again. Maybe next time I will splurge for the peanut oil. Maybe that's the difference. I'll keep you updated!

1 comment:

  1. Ms. Andrea! Just decided to try this tonight with "my" kiddos! Annnd.... We have a Chik-fil-a right in Liberty now! Its WONDERFUL!!

    ReplyDelete

I love to get your comments!