August 31, 2011

The bane of my household

Hello friends!
I am proud to report I am almost finished with the pearl necklace I wanted to make from my last post! I will have a tutorial up soon. Let's just say, it was a lot easier than I thought it would be & I'm trilled with the almost finished result!

Until then, I thought I'd share with you something I mentioned in my last post. It is this UGLY eye sore:
Welcome to our guest room. Doesn't this just make you want to come & stay a while?!
Yeah I thought so.

It has been a pain in my side for quite a while. We were in a hurry to move into our house as we had been living with my parents for the past year. (Just stop for a minute and think about that. ONE. WHOLE. YEAR.)
Really, we were so thankful that we had a place to stay when we moved from Montana back to Kentucky. We were so thankful to have help with Isaac for a few months, and their support (in many ways) after he passed. We are SO thankful, but it's not an ideal living situation for any married couple, and we were ready to get back into our own place. I digress.

We closed the week of Christmas, moved our things in, and two days later went on vacation. So, we were planning on just waiting a little while before we decided what we wanted to do on the house.

I picked this room to be my first project cause all I had to do was slap some paint on the wall and move on. Little did I know until my grandpa pointed it out, that the previous homeowners painted over wallpaper. So that's what those bumpy, noticeable seams are every foot and a half.

So, after a trip to Lowes, and some help from the friendly paint master there, I came home with a tub of joint compound, and a slew of tools I needed. It took me about a week of working off and on, and I had all the seams covered
(We chose the grey color on the far right, yay! I can't wait to get rid of this ridiculous lovely peach color!)
I also had this wall covered:
Let me explain this in the nicest way. The lovely family who tore up worked on this room before us, at one time decided to tear off the wallpaper. But, they must have decided it was too much work or something because they left what they started to peel off, (you know that frayed look of torn paper?) and just painted right over it.
So all over this wall are frayed little bits of wallpaper here and there. REALLY?

Let me just say people, I understand not wanting to take down wallpaper, because, I hear it's not fun. I have to do it in this room soon.
WOW

But if you're going to paint over it, please cover all the seams & do the dirty work yourselves. Don't leave it for the kind, unsuspecting people who will buy your house. (Is that a hint of a pity party I hear?) :)

So, anyway, I have been sanding away, and feel like I may be sanding forever.
My dear husband doesn't have the same affinity for projects as I do, so I'm pretty much doing this in my spare time... once a week... or every other week.
It is just taking forever, and I get so sick of it. I'll work in there for hours, and then walk away for a long time because I can't stand the room. That, and I have project ADD, and I hop from one project to another like a flea in a dog park.

So, now that I've revealed this eye sore of a room to the world, and will be embarrassed if I am still working on it next year, you can hold me accountable to get it done. I might even give you a play by play on how I created my soon to be masterpiece. :)
My goal: have it done this year. (What?! I don't want to set myself up to fail!) Or maybe sooner, we'll see.
See you soon!
Love,

3 comments:

  1. We're depending on you to master wall paper stripping and share, so the rest of us can learn how to do it easily! Good luck with both rooms!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know about master, but I'll see what I can do :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. When we took our paper down, we found out why the previous owners papered. WALL CRACKS. Busy wallpaper hides them! Best of luck to yall

    ReplyDelete

I love to get your comments!